Monday, March 14, 2005

The Unknown

More from McManus
"Follow Me." He wants us to surrender our lives to Him and follow Him into the unknown. And if it means a life of suffering, hardship, and disappointment, it will be worth it because following Jesus Christ is more powerful and more fulfilling than living with everything in the world minus Him.
I've been thinking a lot lately about the mystery and mysticism of being lead by God. I find it hard to believe and, in fact, I 'know' in the non-cerebral sense that God has more than a buttoned down, civilized experience for us. The Bible talks at length about the unusual experiences we are to expect and the supernatural power and authority we will require. Though much of the experiencial side of the faith gets distracted by the gifts and fails to use them for their true purpose, the unity of the body. I know I need to keep an open mind to anything and any way that builds up the body, leads others to Christ, fits with God's character and does not contradict scripture.

I feel like the ability to sense what God is doing more deeply, to see into the spiritual world more accutely, would only help me in doing God's work. To know better how to pray for people, to see where God is working in evangelism and to understand people's unspoken spiritual needs in discipleship are gifts I would love to receive from God.

1 Cor 12:29 - 31
Is everyone an apostle? Of course not. Is everyone a prophet? No. Are all teachers? Does everyone have the power to do miracles? Does everyone have the gift of healing? Of course not. Does God give all of us the ability to speak in unknown languages? No! And in any event, you should desire the most helpful gifts.

Clearly to make spiritual class distinctions from amongst Christians based on gifts is not biblical. We are saved and sealed with the Holy Spirit. My point is that I believe that part of surrendering to God and following Him into the unknown involves unknown experiences and those which do not follow the same restrictions as we face in our day to day tasks.

In other news, I've figured out what European tour I'm interested in and expect to have the package booked within the next day or so. I'm pumped! It'll likely be May 15 through 29 starting in Rome, going to Florence, Venice, Lucerne, Paris and ending in London. Four countries in 15 days. What adds to the drama is that I'll be in Newfoundland for the weekend of May 7 for a wedding I'm in and will be heading to Moncton for a conference on June 3 and 4 (with Bill Hybels). Further, I may get to go to Chicago June 6 through 9 for Supercomm (work conference). I've never been to Europe, to Newfoundland or to Chicago.

Out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home