Sunday, April 03, 2005

Is the Pope's Death Significant?

Yes.

For those who are Catholic, even the question is probably an insult. I don’t pose it as a slap in the face to anyone’s beliefs.

However, I personally believe that the Catholic Church is misguided in many ways and is seen as an irrelevant factor for many in the world including Protestant believers. At various points in history, including as recently as say 25 years ago, the Pope was seen as God on earth. What he said was to be taken on par or greater than scripture. When he said ‘eat fish on Fridays’ that’s what you did if you were a Catholic. The Pope’s declaration was as important as if God Himself had. More recently I think that’s changed somewhat. I think the Catholic Church has making strides towards correcting itself. Yes, yes, I know that even saying that is posing judgment on the Catholic faith. However, the Pope is intended to be the modern day place holder of Peter’s position as the rock on which Jesus would build His church. Peter was never perfect, nor was he the decider of truth amongst the disciples or the new believers. He was simply one who understood the nature of what faith in Jesus meant to himself and to others. He was a servant leader in the building up of churches. I don’t believe any person (other than Jesus) should be deified and I don’t see anything in the Bible that would suggest otherwise.

So, my problems with the Catholic faith and the position of Pope aside, John Paul was a great man of integrity whose service is to be commended. I’ve heard that he would spend as many as 7 hours a day in prayer. His focus was on matters of the faith, foremost, rather than politics. He did an admirable job of balancing the need to maintain the value of life and other Christian beliefs without driving unnecessary divisions amongst people. The gospel is a message of love and life through the grace of Christ and he stood out amongst Popes in his communication of this.

I pray that those Catholic officials who are charged with electing the next Pope would hear the direction of God in their selection. Like the position or not, the person who is Pope can do a great deal of good or bad for the faith and for humanity.

Out.

2 Comments:

Blogger jen said...

I think it's sad that the Pope died. I mean, I think it's sad when any old man dies lol. I agree that there's a lot of problems with the Catholic Church and all that jazz. But the Pope was a pretty cool guy. I know both my grandmothers are probably pretty upset. Anyway it's cool that you wrote a blog entry about it.


SEE YOU ON WEDNESDAY BRYAN!!
(I just felt like yelling that.)

11:57 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

That's very true, everything you said. I cried when the Pope died, because it was sad. Well sort of cried. It was just sad cause he's been the Pope all my life, and now he's not. Anyways, that's all I wanted to say. See you tonight!

3:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home