Saturday, December 03, 2005

The Show

More from Monday's U2 concert.

Yes, it was an amazing show. Yes, I did meet Bono, The Edge and Adam Clayton. Yes, I do consider myself quite fortunate. No, Bono didn't ask me for my autograph.

Here are some pics (compliments of David Gillis who was standing a few feet from the stage during Saturday's show) and the set list.


City of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Elevation
Electric Co.
Still Haven’t Found
Beautiful Day
Miracle Drug
Sometimes You Can’t Make it On Your Own
Love and Peace or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky
Miss Sarajevo
Pride in the Name of Love
Where the Streets have no Name
One

Until the End of the World
Mysterious Ways
With or Without You

All Because of You
Love Will Tear us Apart
Yahweh
40


The highlight of the show was Miss Sarajevo. That's not the song I would have expected given how much I love the song One and how powerful Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own and Sunday Bloody Sunday are. However, Bono started to introduce the song and the historical background of the Miss Sarajevo pagent taking place amidst the violence and chaos of the war there. I thought it was curious that they were playing the song but figured they'd play a track of Pavarotti singing his part of the duet. Instead, Bono says 'Along with learning French, I've also been learning Italian so I'm going to sing the great Tenor's part.' And the crazy thing is, he did. I was floored. I had no idea Bono had that kind of vocal range to the point that it didn't even sound like him. David, who was at the Saturday show, said that Miss Sarajevo was his highlight too, even before we had discussed it. That's how powerful the song was.

If you're looking for a good explanation of where U2 is coming from spiritually and what some of the significance of the Vertigo album is, check out what Mark Harris from Grace had to say. I heard him speak and thought it to be quite insightful.

More stories and pics to come.

Out.

3 Comments:

Blogger The Barretts said...

Hey Bryan: Looks like you had an awesome time! Great pics...now, what's your next adventure going to be?!!? :)

8:27 AM  
Blogger Bryan said...

That's a good question. I say we need a DYCLC meeting before Christmas break to discuss. Margaret, what do you think? Ian, thoughts from the foreign correspondant?

9:58 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well, Mr. Prez, I'll do a "availability poll" ASAP, and we can have the DYCLC Pre-Christmas and U2 Review Meeting...

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home