Sunday, March 04, 2007

The once a month update

I haven't been blogging much, but then again, neither have most of you so don't go throwing stones when you have a glass blog.

I've been focusing my attention towards some real world stuff. Hillside has been going through a tonne of transition. This weekend we had Rev. Jay Guptill in to candidate. The congregation voted to invite him to be the next Senior Pastor, so we'll find out soon if he'll accept (I think he will). This is a good step to keeping the church on track.

I've been talking with AJ a fair bit about his church plant, Deep Water. He will be targeting the post-Christian culture in downtown Halifax. I think he'll do a good job at that.

Also, I agreed to go on the Board for JesusAtlantic.com. If you've never gone to the site, it's the place to find all of the Christian events happening in the Atlantic provinces. Plus, there are other good church marketing materials there. Hopefully I can help provide some ideas and insight on what to do with the site next, particularly in the world of Web 2.0.

And finally, after a year and a half, I finished the book 'The End of Poverty' by Jeffrey Sachs. The joke was that poverty would be eliminated before I finished the book. I kept starting and finishing other books rather than finishing the poverty book. It was a tough read with a lot of depth in economic theory but overall I liked what Sachs had to say. He tends to be too high on his own perspective, dismissing anyone who disagrees with any of his views as irrational and to a large extent, immoral. Anyways, some good stuff in there.

It ends with a quote that I really liked from Robert Kennedy:

Let no one be discouraged by the belief there is nothing one man or one
woman can do against the enormous array of the world's ills - against misery and
ignorance, injustice and violence ... Few will have the greatness to bend
history itself; but each of us can work to change a small portion of events, and
in the total of all those acts will be written the history of this
generation...

It is from the numberless diverse acts of courage and belief that human
history is shaped. Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to
improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he send a
tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of
energy and daring, those ripples build a current which can sweep down the
mightiest walls of opposition and resistance.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Joy said...

I guess this means I have a year and 3 months left to go on The End of Poverty... any chance you can just give me the summary???

12:35 AM  
Blogger The Barretts said...

Hey Bryan! Sounds like you've been busy lately..that's exciting about the potential new pastor for your church.

Hope you're doing well...we'll have to stop by sometime to visit and catch up!

5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home