Monday, June 04, 2007

Leaning into summer

Say hey, it's been a while. I've been busy, but that's nothing new. Really I haven't been blogging because I've been distracted by Facebook. Seriously distracted.

I've been keeping active. I ran in the team relay part of the Bluenose. I'm just finishing up playing basketball for the winter season. I've been playing soccer on Saturdays since the weather has warmed up. I'm playing softball with the same crew again and am playing ultimate, but this year not with the Slingers. I still love all those folks, but I decided I'd rather shake it up; play on a different night, a higher level of competition and with a different group of people. It's good. We've had a couple of practices and I'm learning lots. Hopefully I'll improve measurably this year. It's weird playing a sport that my Dad didn't teach me the basics as a kid. Every other sport, all of the major movements and fundamentals were taught to me at the same time I learned to walk. Well, almost.

I've had some challenges recently too. My grandfather Wiens passed away last week. I didn't know him well, but it's still challenging. And I had some unexpected adventures in getting my driveway paved. It was paved and then I realized the water coming into my house was cut. So, they had to cut a hole in my driveway, replace the pipes and fill it up with gravel. Hopefully the paving company lives up to their word and paves over the hole. It sucks paying all that money and ending up with a messed up looking driveway.

I'm looking forward to this summer. I plan to get to Chicago to visit Sean. And I may get to Ottawa as well. We'll see. I'm also hoping to get lots of camping in and am looking for fellow campers.

Also, I'm coming to the end of my time at Hillside. After 3 years I'm no longer on the Board. And I've got 2 weeks of youth leadership left. With Peter leaving and the Deep Water team leaving it kind of feels like graduation, with everyone going their own direction. In reality, most people are staying. But of those I'm close to, including myself, there's a lot of change.

It was great, the past couple of weeks, having Andrew and Sean in town. I've spent lots of time over the years with both of those guys. So, having them in town was a lot of fun and also brought back lots of good memories.

I'm looking forward to the changes and to the summer. How about you?

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, Bryan, lots of changes and challenges for your this past while. I'm sorry about your grandfather.

Glad to hear your driveway is back to normal, and I hope this summer is full of great things!

2:55 AM  
Blogger Ian Lau said...

Did you not improve measurably playing on the Slingers?? ;-) All the best with the Cannons.. maybe this is the year!

9:13 PM  
Blogger The Barretts said...

Hey Bryan,

Nice seeing you on the weekend; we really appreciated you dropping by.

Thanks for explaining in more detail the driveway story :)

Have a good week and we'll talk to you soon,

SB

9:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

yikes...looks like you have ONE DAY before you are in the Barrett Blogger Doghouse again!!

1:31 PM  
Blogger Janna said...

hey Bryan, sorry to hear about your grandfather. i'm just dropping by your blog for the first time in a long time..i've a got a week of holidays from school here (not as nice as two months :) so I'm catching up on everybody. hope you're enjoying your summer, and getting away from work a little at least! blessings friend! some time you have a chance I'd love to hear more about how God is leading you out of leadership at Hillside and onto something else...

6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home