Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Party Friday

For all those in Halifax, Friday night we're having a going away party for Andrew House at the house on Cedar Street at 7:30. Bring drinks or snacks but not lame stuff like chips or pretzels. Bring fresh fruit or frozen fruit or juice for smoothies.

Congrats to the Barrett's on the newest addition to their family, Naomi Elizabeth. I'm so happy for you guys! Did I win the Tim Horton's coupons or what?

On 24 this week Tony Almeida died. I'm in denial. Seriously, I didn't think he actually died until I saw it on the 24 Official Site. Tony was a great character, one of the few left from Season 1. However, this is not going to stop me from watching. 24 is what makes me look forward to Mondays! Every Monday, party at Mark & Lauren's!

Here's a poll for you to give feedback on. This article ranks the top 50 most influencial Christians in America. Personally, I think they covered the key ones that I can think of, perhaps with the exception of Jim Wallis and Philip Yancy. I was surprised at how low the Pope was rated but happy to see McManus make the list. Good to see Warren and Hybels rated so high. I was surprised to see Brian McLaren so low and pleasantly surprised to have Donald Miller left off the list. My final thoughts on it, too many writers and pastors and not enough artists, other famous people or 'doers'. Where are the Christian musicians with influence?

The new job is going quite well, the house closing date is April 27. Moving day is April 29. Any volunteers?

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My layers of problems with this list are many:

1. A list of power Christians? Anyone read anything Jesus said about power and influence?

2. An annual list? Is this so that people can have their agents lobby for a higher placement?

3. This seems to be a ranking of mega churches in America. Bleh!

4. Dr. Phil. 'nuf said.

There are a few people on there I like, but an awful lot that scare me.

Do you like McLaren's stuff Bry?

11:09 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Tony is DEAD??? No way. First Edgar, now Tony...who's next??? JACK?????

12:09 PM  
Blogger Bryan said...

I think the 24 writers have miscalculated. They've assumed that Cloe, Curtis and Bill Buchanen can replace Palmer, Tony and Michelle. They need to have some appealing characters with some development in the show. All of the non-Jack characters are not interchangable, in my opinion.

I'm currently reading McLaren's A New Kind of Christian. I'll let you know what I think. My opinion to date has been that he and others have been more focused on selling their theory/definition of postmodernism than on providing helpful insight.

12:56 PM  
Blogger Bryan said...

Oh, and Jesus said 'Let your light shine before all men', 'Be wise as serpents and innocent as doves' and 'Let those with the gift of leadership govern dilligently'. I don't think listing a view of the most influencial Christians is a bad thing. Whether you state it or not, Billy Graham has been quite influencial. That doesn't make him bad, nor is it evil to admit it.

Feeling a bit negative today, are we?

1:00 PM  
Blogger The Barretts said...

Hey..sorry you didn't win the Timmy's money...maybe for the next baby :)

Nice seeing you on Friday night...you looked cute with Naomi!!

4:05 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great Party Friday, nice job on the slideshow, too!

10:44 AM  
Blogger Matt, Christine, Elijah, Joseph, Sarah, & Oliver said...

Careful! I think many people would call pastors "doers".
My question of this list is, "What does influential mean?"

With my two cents,

Matt W.

1:38 PM  
Blogger Matt, Christine, Elijah, Joseph, Sarah, & Oliver said...

I agree wholeheartedly with "the sister" - whoever she might be. I would add, the list might be more aptly titled, "the most influential conservative evangelical dispensationalists." (aside from the Pope and few others, of course). However, kudos for the post and prompting discussion, Brian.

Adding 2 more cents to my 2 cents,

Matt W.

1:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Now that I've updated, I can bug you. Update!!

9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home