Sunday, April 16, 2006

Philip Yancy

I have read a lot of books that I've enjoyed. Often if I enjoy a book by an author I'll generally like most if not all of his or her other writings. Writing style and the ability to draw true insight are elements that seem to go beyond one book. Of the writers who I enjoy most, Malcolm Gladwell, Erwin McManus, CS Lewis, Marcus Buckingham, there's one who really stands out, Philip Yancy. Yancy's written quite a few books and I've read most of them. I still have a few to catch up on. All of his books have maintained his edgy questioning while ending at a place of contentment, stronger and more at peace for the picking at the edges of faith and life.

I've been reminded of this past few weeks of the importance and superiority of 3 of Yancy's books, What's So Amazing about Grace?, The Jesus I Never Knew and Reaching for the Invisible God. I consider all 3 to be masterpieces. What's So Amazing about Grace? is without question my favorite book. It opened my eyes to the centrepiece concept of the gospel story. It poked a lot of holes in some traditional thinking not in a way to create controversy, but by clarifying the better way. I recommend that book to anybody and everybody, both those of faith in Jesus and those who wouldn't consider it.

In The Jesus I Never Knew, Yancy does a great job of revealing the figure of Jesus Christ as a misunderstood character. The ultimate victim of being portrayed in the light of the one doing the portraying. We like to fancy God to be in our own image and we like to use Jesus as backup to our preconceived ideas. Yancy addresses that head-on. Really, I like any story that reveals the true Christ as the hero.

Finally, Reaching for the Invisible God is the least well known of the 3, but I think it stands up to the other 2. I spoke to a good friend this week about having doubts in faith and much of what Yancy spelled out in this book fit into the conversation. "God's invisibility guarantees I will experience times of doubt". "God appears far less threatened by doubt than does His church". Yancy hits the nail on the head for honest believers and addresses our pronness to seek more assurance than God has provided.

In one section touching on our need to treat God as we would a trusted friend he speaks of mature faith:

"I am learning that mature faith, which encompasses both simple faith and fidelity, works the opposite of paranoia. It reassemples all the events of life around trust in a loving God. When good things happen, I accept them as gifts from God, worthy of thankgiving. When bad things happen, I do not take them as necessarily sent by God - I see evidence in the Bible to the contrary - and I find in them no reason to divorce God. Rather, I trust that God can use even those bad things for my benefit. That, at least, is the goal toward which I strive."

I appreciate honesty. Philip Yancy writes honestly and pushes me further than I was when I picked up his books. I recommend you give one a read.

8 Comments:

Blogger The Barretts said...

I agree..Philip Yancy is really good. I think What's So Amazing about Grace is my favorite book too..I think I've read it 5 times now. I will have to get my hands on one of his other books now...

8:24 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am also a fan, though not so widely read. One of the first books I read by Yancy was Fearfully and Wonderfully Made. Really fascinating and changed my perspective on the entire world around me.

9:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know I could talk more fully about this topic, but I don't want to be a downer.

Instead, I'll point out that you could show your devotion to his teachings by spelling his name right. It's Yancey.

:)

And yes, I'm being difficult.

12:15 PM  
Blogger Brett Nissen said...

Wow...that's so funny. I know of that Barrett guy that commented on your blog. Charlottetown PEI is so small...and so is Eastern Canada!

Nice blog "soon to leave" house mate.

5:22 PM  
Blogger deb said...

have you read "disappointment with God"? also a good yancey book.

3:06 PM  
Blogger Tara and Aaron Spencer said...

Good post Brian! It is always interesting to read others peoples thoughts and opinions on good reads! I agree with you about Yancey's writing in a way that addresses an issue but you feel much more at peace by the end of his book. Or at least a bit more knowledgable and you continue to think about it for a long time after!

11:40 PM  
Blogger Tara and Aaron Spencer said...

Hey Brian
We would love to get a Dog but we are not home enough right now and the cats are a bit more self-sufficient.

I just got Yancey's book,"The Bible Jesus Read". Have you read it? What are your thoughts if you did?

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Bryan,

You said to leave a comment to let you know if we were on your blog..well, I stumbled upon it! I didn't get to say it when I saw you today (at Starbucks) but CONGRATS on your new home! Talk to you soon! - Kendra G.

11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home